If you are wearing a brace, it is very important to maintain a high level of oral hygiene. Just like your teeth, braces need to be cleaned and taken care of too, particularly if you are looking for optimum results.
Put it this way, the better you look after your braces and oral health, the more comfortable and effective your treatment will be.
There are a number of actions you can take to make sure your experience of wearing braces is a pleasant and happy one.
How to look after my braces
- Clean your teeth after every meal (or snack) with a fluoride toothpaste
- If you are wearing a fixed brace, take extra care to brush around the brackets and wires
- If you are wearing a removable brace, take it out to clean your teeth
- Place your removable brace in its container/box to avoid any damage when not wearing it
- Clean your removable brace with a soft toothbrush and water only
- Use a fluoride mouthwash
- Avoid particularly chewy and hard foods
- Floss daily
- Ask your orthodontist for advice on the best toothbrush to use, suited to you and your brace
- If you are playing contact sports, make sure you wear a mouth guard
- Visit your dentist frequently
- If you notice any damage to your brace, or have any questions, ask your orthodontist.